January 5, 2012

Mexican Lasagna



Today I decided to try a new recipe, and I'm happy to say it turned out quite well. Our guests enjoyed it, as did everyone else here at the house. Even the picky eaters enjoyed it, and that's saying something. The sour cream added right at the end of baking seemed to make the dish fluffier and smoother.

Mexican Lasagna
2 pounds ground beef
1 16 oz. can of refried beans
1 4 oz. can chopped mild green chiles
1/2 envelope taco seasoning
4 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
12 ozs. lasagna noodles - cooked, cooled (and laid out on wax paper so they don't stick together)
1 jar mild salsa
1 cup water
2 cups sour cream
1 small can sliced ripe olives, drained
4 green onions, chopped

Cook ground beef in large skillet, drain fat. Stir in the beans, chiles, taco seasoning. In a greased 9 X 13 pan, layer a third of the noodles and meat mixture. Sprinkle with one cup of cheese. Repeat layers two times. Combine salsa and one cup of water, pour over the top. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for one hour. Top with 2 cups of sour cream, olives, onions, and the remaining cup of cheese. I put olives on only half of the dish, since some in our house don't like olives. Bake five minutes more, uncovered this time. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting.

If you want more spice, add more taco seasoning and also include a few tablespoons of hot salsa (some like Cholula brand) when you throw in the beans. I skipped that part as we are wimpy about spicy food.

I hope you enjoy this fun lasagna!

3 comments:

  1. that sounds jummy !
    unfortunately it is just me for dinner tonight, so I´m going for easy comfort food.

    I´ve put your new blog-adress in my blogroll, hope that will direct a few more readers your way !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry this is so late (better late then never right?), but I couldn't remember the name of your blog. I finally found it! I just wanted to tell you how AMAZING that lasagna is. I made for dinner as soon as I saw the recipe. My family LOVED it! Thank you so much for sharing!!

    ~McKenna
    http://chiccrafting.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kind words, McKenna. I am so glad you liked the recipe. This is late to you, too, by the way. I've not been blogging much lately, must get back into it and I'll swing by your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are deeply appreciated and cherished.